Course Overview: The AHA Heartsaver Instructor Course teaches the methods needed to effectively instruct others in the Heartsaver resuscitation courses. The American Heart Association requires that Instructors be at least 16 years of age for the Heartsaver courses. You will be qualified to teach the Heartsaver Course for the lay person.
A Heartsaver Instructor Course is approximately 9 hours. The course consists of the Heartsaver Instructor Essentials, (3 hours of individual on-line pre-course work), and an additional 6 hours of classroom training and practice.
The Ideal Instructor Candidate Possesses the Following Qualities:
- A strong desire to teach
- Ability to facilitate learning and ensure students acquire the skills necessary for successful course completion
- Views student assessment as a way to improve individual knowledge and skills
- Excellent BLS performance & problem-solving skills
- Ability to follow directions & follow through with tasks
- Ability to communicate effectively in front of a group
Mandatory Course Prerequisites:
1. Possess a current AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Provider card with the 2010 guidelines (Red Cross will not be accepted)
2. Complete an Instructor Candidate Application.
3. Designate a Training Center by registering at www.ahainstructornetwork.org.
4. Obtain a Letter of Recommendation.
5. Successfully complete the Heartsaver Instructor Essentials online course, and print the course completion certificate.
* The Instructor Essentials online course is included in the cost of the course.
6. Possess a current edition of the AHA Hearsaver Instructor Manual, Student Manual, and DVD.
* AHA Provider Manuals ARE NOT included in the cost of the course. You may order the manual from LifeTek.
7. Please E-Mail the following items, prior to your scheduled instructor course, to email@example.com, or mail to: LifeTek, Inc., 1100 Rooevelt Ave, Suite B, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
a) Copy of your current Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Provider card (front & back)
b) Completed instructor candidate application
c) Heartsaver Instructor Essentials completion certificate
d) Letter of recommendation to LifeTek, Inc. Training Center
Monitoring and Mentoring: Each instructor candidate is required to be monitored teaching a Heartsaver CPR/AED class in full to complete the Instructor course requirements. A LifeTek TCF will monitor the class. It is the instructor candidate’s responsibility to coordinate their monitored class. LifeTek will not issue an Instructor card until a satisfactory monitoring has been done.