The AHA Instructor Course teaches the methods needed to effectively instruct others in the Heartsaver and/or Healthcare Provider resuscitation courses. The American Heart Association requires that Instructors be at least 18 years of age for the Heartsaver and BLS Instructor courses. A BLS Instructor will be qualified to teach the BLS for Healthcare Provider Course as well as the Heartsaver Course for the lay person. If you would ike to become a Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED Instructor ONLY, please contact the Training Center for further details prior to signing up.
A BLS Instructor Course is approximately 9 hours. The course consists of BLS Instructor Essentials (3 hours of individual on-line pre-course work), and an additional 6 hours of classroom training and practice. Click here to view our Instructor Timeline. It will explain the steps to becoming an AHA Instructor with LifeTek Training .
Ideal Instructor Candidate Qualities
- A strong desire to teach
- Ability to facilitate learning and ensure students acquire the skills necessary for successful course completion
- Views student assessment as a way to improve individual knowledge and skills
- Excellent BLS performance & problem-solving skills
- Ability to follow directions & follow through with tasks
- Ability to communicate effectively in front of a group
Mandatory Course Prerequisites
1. Possess a current AHA BLS Provider card.
2. Designate a Training Center by registering at ahainstructornetwork.org.
3. Obtain a Letter of Recommendation from your Training Site.
4. Successfully complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Online Course (included in the cost of the course), and print the course completion certificate.
5. Possess a current edition of the AHA Provider and Instructor Manual and DVD (digital eProducts okay), for the discipline desired to teach, (AHA Provider Manuals and DVDs ARE NOT included in the cost of the course. You may order the manual from LifeTek.)
6. Please bring with you to the course the following items:
a) Copy of your current Healthcare Provider card (front & back)
b) BLS Instructor Essentials completion certificate
c) Letter of recommendation from your training site
Monitoring and Mentoring: Each instructor candidate is required to be monitored teaching a BLS class in full to complete the Instructor course requirements. A LifeTek TCF will monitor the class. It is the instructor candidate’s responsibility to coordinate their monitored class while attending the Initial Instructor Course. LifeTek will not issue an Instructor card until a satisfactory monitoring has been done.