ACLS Provider Renewal w/BLS for Virginia Mason Employees Only will include two separate certifications, AHA ACLS Provider and AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider. A current, non-expired AHA ACLS card is required to attend a renewal class.
The BLS for Providers is designed to provide a wide variety of healthcare professionals the ability to recognize several life-threatening emergencies, provide CPR, use an AED, and relieve choking in a safe, timely and effective manner. This BLS course will take place at the beginning of your ACLS w/BLS Renewal class.
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) is an advanced, instructor-led classroom course that highlights the importance of team dynamics and communication, systems of care and immediate post-cardiac-arrest care. It also covers airway management and related pharmacology. In this course, skills are taught in large, group sessions and small, group learning and testing stations where case-based scenarios are presented.
- Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills simulated clinical scenarios that encourage Active participation
- Instructor led hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Classroom-based works well for learners who prefer group interaction and instructor feedback while learning skills
Audience: ACLS is designed for healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest and other cardiovascular emergencies. This includes personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care and critical care units.
Providers who take the ACLS Course must be proficient in the following:
- Performing BLS CPR skills using the 2010 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC
- Reading and interpreting ECGs
- Understanding ACLS drugs
- Performing the BLS Survey and the ACLS Survey
- This course does not teach interpretation of ECG Rhythms or detailed ACLS Pharmacology.
Prerequisites and Preparation: Proof of renewal eligibility is REQUIRED. You MUST have a current non expired AHA ACLS Provider card to register for this class. You MUST have your BLS online course completion certificate, the code for which you should have received from Victoria Levitt in the education department.
**NEW from the AHA for 2015: it is required to review and understand the information in your ACLS Provider Manual and successfully complete the Self-Assessment modules on the Student Website (www.heart.org/eccstudent) with a passing score of 70. You will be required to turn in the scores. Please print your final score and be ready to turn it in at sign in. Failure to complete the self-assessment will result in needing to reschedule. Fees will apply.
More information can be found in your student manual.
Course Length: 10 hours
- ACLS Provider Manual; includes the ACLS Pocket Reference Card Set; Item# 90-1014 (Required)
- EKG/ECG 101 Study Guide (Recommended)
- ECC Handbook; Item# 90-1000 (Recommended)
Certification: Upon successful completion, students receive an American Heart Association BLS Provider Card and an ACLS Provider Card, both valid for two years.
Click here for AHA Course flyer.